Watch the Institute’s new TV commercial and you’ll discover that statistics may be an essential part of our message, but they’re not the heart of our mission. People are.
- Black students make up just 20% of the student population in Madison
- However they 57% of the students recommended for expulsion, and 53% of students expelled. Source: Madison Metropolitan School District
- There are more black men in prison than there are in college.
- Blacks are less than 4% of our our nations entrepreneurs. Source: The US Department of Labor
- Blacks in 2000 had higher unemployment rates than both Whites and Hispanics at every level of education. Source: Status and Trends in the Education of Blacks, The National Center for Education Statistics
- Fewer Black men and women held managerial or professional positions in 2000 than White men and women. Source: Status and Trends in the Education of Blacks, The National Center for Education Statistics
In the System
- There are 200,000 more Black men in prison than there are in college.
- In Dane County, WI, Black men are 37 times more likely”and Black women, 45 times more likely to be imprisoned than their white counterparts. Source: Racial Disparity in Criminal Justiceâ€, Institute for Research on Poverty, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- The life expectancy of a Black man is 8.4 years shorter than that of a white man.
- In Wisconsin, Black girls are 14 times more likely to become teenage mothers. In fact, Wisconsin leads the nation in Black teenage pregnancies.